About Stayner Weather Station

The station is powered by a Davis Vantage Pro2 weather station. The data is collected every second and the site is updated every 5 seconds. This site and its data is collected using Weather Display Software. The station is comprised of an anemometer, rain gauge, thermo-hydro sensor, solar radiation and UV sensors, soil moisture and soil temperture sensors, that are situated in optimal positions for highest accuracy possible.

The Origins of Stayner

Stayner originated with the opening of the railway in 1854. The first settler was Andrew Coleman who was a foreman or sub-contractor on the construction of this part of the Northern Railway. Mr. Coleman came to Stayner in 1854 and built the first hotel on the site of the present Toronto Dominion Bank, when the rest of the land, now covered by the buildings of Stayner, was almost an unbroken forest. This first building was a shanty, and was used as a boarding house for the men employed on the railway construction. Mrs. Coleman was the first white women to live in Stayner, and after the completion of the railway the family remained as permanent residents. Mr. Coleman sold the original site in two or three years and built other hotels in Stayner. Another of the first settlers was Gideon Phillips, who built a sawmill, and was appointed Justice of the Peace, April 3, 1857.

For a number of years Stayner was known as Nottawasaga Station, and the post office, which was established in 1855 with Donald Baine, a lumber merchant and storekeeper, as the first postmaster. About the year 1857, Stayner was called Dingwall after a lumberman of the area. In 1864 it was renamed Stayner, in honour of Thomas Stayner, the Deputy Postmaster General. His son Sutherland Stayner owned a great deal of land in the area and was prominent in real estate. In 1870, Sutherland Stayner donated the land and $200 to build the Church of the Good Sheppard. However he would not allow a cemetery to be built around the church, since he felt the town would develop in this area.

In June 1872, the County Council passes a By-law for the incorporation of Stayner as a village, with A.M. Ingersoll as the first returning officer. The first reeve elected was Geo. Randolph. The legislation which transformed Stayner from a village into a town on March 23, 1888 had been rushed through because of a rumour that Simcoe County was going to set up two centres of government, one in the north and one in the south. The proposal never went through, but it made Stayner the smallest town in Ontario, a distinction which still applied far into the twentieth century.

Reference "Palaces and People" A History Of Stayner; Author Heather Ferguson 1984

About Stayner Weather Website

This site is a template design by CarterLake.org with PHP conversion by Saratoga-Weather.org.
Special thanks go to Kevin Reed at TNET Weather for his work on the original Carterlake templates, and his design for the common website PHP management.
Special thanks to Mike Challis of Long Beach WA for his wind-rose generator, Theme Switcher and CSS styling help with these templates.
Special thanks go to Ken True of Saratoga-Weather.org for the AJAX conditions display, dashboard and integration of the TNET Weather common PHP site design for this site.

Template is originally based on Designs by Haran.

This template is XHTML 1.0 compliant. Validate the XHTML and CSS of this page.